2011年7月21日 星期四

The bare essentials

Frustrated and in agony, Jamie Troughton ditched his flash running shoes and joined the barefoot brigade - with startling results.

Monkey boy, freak feet, gorilla toes.

You name it,you can use a asicsshoe. I've heard it. Even my daughters taunt me about my "ugly shoes" and keep a not-so-polite distance whenever I walk them to school.

I've walked through airport lounges and been heckled by teenagers. Disgusted mothers shield their progeny, middle-aged men adopt a look like I've just urinated on their cabbage patch.

The cost of fashion and peer respectability is a small price to pay, however, for salvation of the soles. I swear my Vibram Five Fingers will be the last brand of footwear I'll ever run in.Such as previously Nike Air Max, the entire-length Air sole returns away from your wholesaletruereligion. Haven't you heard? Minimalism is here. Welcome to the barefoot revolution.

Three years ago, I was a shambling wreck of a runner.

A pair of sparkly Asics were turfed in a corner, their custom-fitted, high-tech orthotics splayed out like the tongue of a dying lizard.

A crack at the 32km Kauri Run on the Coromandel Peninsula descended into an agonising hell.

Whimpering slightly and the closest to tears I've ever been at the end of an athletic pursuit, I vowed never again to break out of a fast walk.Shopping is the best place to comparison shop for shoessuppliers.

Fallen arches and dodgy hip-flexors surely meant my running days were over.

The beauty of sports journalism, however, is that inspiration can hide just around the corner.

Three key events soon conspired to ruin my imposed exile.If you have all the right materials and equipment,ladiesshoes.

The first was stumbling across the incredible deeds of Hamilton's Kerry Suter a self-confessed fat IT sloth who got up off the couch one day and started running. For 935 consecutive days, he pounded the roads, turning himself into one of New Zealand's foremost endurance runners through sheer willpower and discipline.

The next penny dropped while covering a local cross country race. Tauranga Boys' College prodigy Michael Sutton flew along in barefeet with seemingly effortless ease.

Finally, Christopher McDougall's outstanding book Born to Run was dropped on to my desk to review. I read it, reviewed it, then read it again.

In a nutshell, it tells the story of mankind's regression into shoes; how we're genetically predisposed to run long distances unshod and how small groups of indigenous runners continue to defy science with their running abilities.

McDougall touched on characters like "Barefoot Ted" McDonald- who competed in the Tarawera Ultra Marathon in Kawerau in March - and he also introduced Vibram Five Fingers to the literary world.The next omelet you eat edhardyshirts will kill you.

沒有留言:

張貼留言