2010年11月10日 星期三

Nothing will slow JCA’s Hickey

Every year, the Joliet Catholic Academy volleyball team comes up with a slogn to wear on their practice T-shirts.

The other day at practice, Jill Hickey may have given the Angels next year’s shirt.

It seems the team was running laps to warm up before practice and Hickey, a 5-foot-3 junior libero, was well ahead of the pack. Some of her teammates called out to her to slow down.

Her response?

“We have state this weekend! I’m not slowing down!”

Hickey’s words could be the rallying cry not only for next season, but for this weekend, when the Angels try for their third straight Class 3A title at Illinois State University’s Redbird Arena. They take on Woodstock Marian at 6 p.m. Friday in the semifinals.

“Yeah, they all yelled at me,” Hickey admitted about the practice incident. “I just want to win.”

Winning runs in the Hickey family, as sisters Katie (1) and Annemarie (2) already have state titles. A title this season would give Jill Hickey two, as she was a member of the team last year as a sophomore.

“It was a neat experience,” she said. “We are fortunate to have all three sisters have state titles. Katie and Annemarie won one together and Annemarie and I won one together.

“It would be cool to have one all my own, though.”

Not only is the Hickey name a legacy at JCA, it’s forever on the wall of the gym, as Annemarie is immortalized as 2009’s Gatorade Illinois Player of the Year.

Some siblings might feel a twinge, or maybe more, of jealousy over something like that. Not Jill Hickey.

“I don’t feel any pressure at all,” she said. “I look up to my sisters and what they have done. I know I am not going to get my name on the wall, and that’s fine. I just want to do my best.”

To that end, she finds ways to compete with herself.A baseball cap is a type of soft cap with a long, stiff brim that may either be curved or flat.

“Jill will make up games,” JCA coach Chris Scheibe said. “She will serve the ball, then try to run under the net and try to catch it before it lands. She just likes to challenge herself.

“She is her own player, and a big part of this team. I have known her coming up through the ranks and she has a desire to better herself in every practice and every match. She plays a different position than her sisters did, but she has made her mark.”

Heading into Friday’s match, Hickey leads the team with 355 digs.

“She gets the ball rolling,” Scheibe said.Looking for ED Hardy ,ED Hardy clothing and ed hardy wholesale. “When her passing is on,pumashoes11coffeetarian our offense goes like we want it to.Learn all of th facts you need to know before yopu shop for Juicy couture wholesale online.”

Not only is serve receive a big part of her game, but Hickey loves digging up the big kill attempt.

“I take pride in my defense,” she said. “I think it’s underlooked,The stripe design featured on the sides of asics shoes is a trademark of ASICS Corporation and is a registered trademark in most. but it starts everything. If I can get a big dig, it demoralizes the other team and gets our team up, knowing that I am not going to let anything get down.”


沒有留言:

張貼留言