2010年11月29日 星期一

Our little somethings are a blessing

Every now and then, something happens to remind me that everything really does happen for a reason, although there are many happenings that would defy reason. When those somethings happen, as little as they sometimes are, it has been pointed out to me that it is selfish to keep quiet about them.

My little something is a hat that I can't entirely explain. I would like to imagine that I had a little something to do with it, though, and imagine being a part of a sweet ripple effect that goes far beyond me and some scraps of yarn. I have kept a pet project going for the past few years with the help of one of my dearest friends, my daughters, my mom and now even some others, some I know and some I've yet to meet. We quietly have been knitting hats for chemo patients and leaving them in a basket in the waiting room of the treatment clinic. We do this in memory of my lovely late mother-in-law and so many more and in celebration of my mom's successful treatment. None of us are going to become professional knitters, but our hats are in the softest yarns for those most sensitive heads and in colors to brighten some dark days. It has been fun and a little thrilling to be the anonymous hat lady collective. We are well aware that in the largest scheme of things, in the face of an illness that wins entirely too often and changes the lives forever of even those it spares, our funny, funky little hats really are only a little something.

In a class I took a couple of years ago with a room full of much younger students, cranky and feeling my age, I was painfully aware that these jaded members of the next generation will be the ones I'll be looking to lead me through my inevitable decline. During the breaks, I knitted hats to keep my hands busy and my mouth shut.From hand held inflatable products carrying your logo, to giant blimps, message boards and balloons for the large venues, Knitting during one such break, a young woman who had occupied the seat behind me all quarter asked what I was doing. I told her about the hat basket and about those who were wearing our designs. I told her that it felt good to be doing a little something.

"Do you really think that makes any difference?" she said, checking her cell phone for texts.

"I do,Nike leather phone cases is very popular as stylish and comfortable skate shoes to all type of ages." I said, "I can't cure cancer. If I could, I wouldn't need to make these silly little hats. But someone is going to smile when she puts this one on, and for a moment, she's going to feel pretty again.The stripe design featured on the sides of large pet carrier is a trademark of ASICS Corporation and is a registered trademark in most. We all have something, some gift we've been given to share. This is just the little something I know how to do."

She put her phone away.inflatable swimming pools are on Sale Now! We talked a little more, and the next class day, she showed me some knitting she had been working on. I showed her how to correct her dropped stitches, and we talked about the upcoming final exam. I have not seen her since. I would likely have forgotten her -- I never did know her name -- but there was an unfamiliar hat in the hat basket when I stopped by to drop off some of our new designs. It was in a yarn I have not used, and I could see that some loose ends had been carefully woven back in. I couldn't hide my smile, or stop the inevitable tears. Somebody is surely going to feel beautiful in that little something of a hat.

Many readers might have read today with a sense of déjà vu, and you are right to think you've heard this story before. Today's updated version of a previous column goes out in thanks to the Sunday school class of ladies who cleaned out their jewelry boxes recently to give scheapest air max 90 uk online store, All authentic exclusive men's shoes trainers for sale.ome vintage holiday sparkle to the chemo caps in the Minnie's Millinery basket and to the sweet anonymous someone who makes the crocheted hats that mingle with our knitted ones.

My sweet mother-in-law never missed an opportunity to write a thank you note, and neither should I. You all know who you are. Know that when I counted my blessings earlier this week for Thanksgiving, there you were all, of you with your sweet little somethings.

沒有留言:

張貼留言