2011年3月27日 星期日

Bill Uhrich see more photos by Bill Uhrich

Skunk cabbage near the Sacred Oak in Oley Township.
One of my many spring rituals is to dig my bike out from the corner of the living room where it spends the winter and to get it ready for a season of rides.

During previous winters, I made a stab at staying in shape by riding indoors on a set of rollers.Enjoy Cheap nike air max for women or men at wholesale price.

This winter, though, found me more often slouched on the couch than keeping in shape.

So after an alarming, monthlong binge of fasnachts and Girl Scout cookies, I wheel my bike out from the spot from where it hadn't moved since pulling some late-October commuter duty.

One bike glove hangs from a brake lever like a shriveled bat. The other glove has disappeared. Undoubtedly, one of the cats got it.

There's something hopeful about cleaning up a bike on a long, summer-like, first weekend of spring.

Scrubbing off the past year's accumulation of oil and grime from the sprockets and chainwheels with a toothbrush and solvent and running the chain through an oil-soaked T-shirt to strip off the cat hair are soulful activities.

My mind wanders to the places I'll ride, to the goals I'll set.

And then there's the reality.

Hmm, the last time I wore this bike jersey, there wasn't that big lump around the middle.

Oh well.

I hop on and wobble down the side streets of east Reading to hit the bike trail at Canal Street with a destination of Reber's Bridge.Keep your muscles warm before and after the match in this stylish Adidas Jacket.

As I pass RACC, I take a roll call:

Neck - aches; shoulders - hurt; wrists - in pain; back - tight; knees - creaking; lungs - burning.

Could be worse.

As I settle into the rhythm of the ride, I absorb my surroundings.Can't find a particular pair of ed hardy jeans on our website?Naax Fashion Textile is a wholesale jeans dealer who trades with young-fashion . I hear my first Phoebe of the year at Kissinger's Lock. Tufted titmice sing along the trail.

Much further on along the towpath past the Red Bridge near Lock 47, the spring peepers are deafening.

One thing I notice about the many runners and bikers I pass is that they are all wired and plugged in.

I suppose they are starring in their own movies, accompanied by the soundtracks of their lives.

Nothing wrong with that.

This is my movie: limited release, straight to video.

Another spring ritual is the pilgrimage my wife, Michele, and I make to the Sacred Oak in Oley.

We visit every equinox and solstice.

Spring is our favorite season there because of the hundreds of skunk cabbage flowers that emerge in a marshy spot next to the tree.

These tough-skinned members of the lily family are the first wildflowers of the spring, often pushing up through the snow,I wanted to shop for running asics shoes. their internal furnaces emitting heat a dozen degrees warmer than the air, producing the skunky odor that attracts insects for pollination.

Spring is here.

沒有留言:

張貼留言