2011年3月16日 星期三

Good outdoor clothes are worth the price

We watched the temperature drop like a stone as we drove through McCall, Idaho, toward Brundage Mountain Resort.

It bottomed out at 19 degrees below zero.

"It will be warmer when we get to the mountain," I told my snowboarding buddy, Dave Heimer.I'm a small investor in a startup company deploying a podiatrist-patented method for adding comfort to high-fashion, high-heel shoes for women.

As we started driving up the mountain, the plunging temperature reversed and crept up to zero degrees when we reached Brundage's parking lot.

Despite the frigid temperatures, I was more worried about having the wrong snowboard wax than staying warm. At times like these I appreciate good outdoor clothes.

I'm an outdoor clothes geek. I take my outdoor clothing seriously.Find a fashionable range of women boots and ladies shoes all in one place online. It's the difference between a good day and a miserable one. Or worse, having to stay home because of the weather.

The key is figuring out what clothing works, and I don't shy away from mixing and matching clothes designed for different outdoor sports. And I'm always looking for a deal.

The outdoor clothing market is fragmented and specialized. That's why ski and snowboard clothing is different, even though both sports are similar and done in the same place under the same conditions.

A lot of that is shrewd marketing by clothing manufacturers, but I think it works both ways between sellers and buyers. Sellers cater to the different outdoor cliques because some people don't want to look like the "other guys."

I look for clothes that are versatile, and I am more concerned about how well it works than who it's marketed to, or who makes it.

When I see a good piece of outdoor clothing on sale, I buy it regardless of the season. I recently bought a new hunting coat on sale even though hunting season is months away.

But back to dressing for a zero-degree day. What's interesting about my clothing is how little of it was designed to be winter clothing, and that none of it was marketed as snowboard clothing, except my boots.

Here's a rundown:

- Merino wool long underwear: Being warm and comfortable starts with a good base layer, and merino wool is the best I've found.

A full-price set of merino wool long underwear can cost over $100.

I would probably pay that much because it's that good (and durable). It's comfortable in such a wide range of temperatures that I can wear it during spring, and even in summer on cool nights.

- Merino wool socks: These can run up to $25 per pair, but more companies have gotten into the market and prices have dropped. I found a pair at a clearance sale for $8.Air max 2009 Running Shoe Flex grooves in the mid and outsole for flexibility.

- Cabela's fleece wading pants: These are designed to be worn under fishing waders, but they're also warm and comfortable under snow pants. I recently got a pair on sale for $20.This is the new nike air max 90 in Pecan, Black and Varsity Royal.

- Gore-Tex pants: Mine are general-purpose rain/snow pants,Buy Knee High Boots with a price guarantee and top rated customer service. and here's a secret: Any garment that carries the Gore-Tex tag has to meet the company's quality standards, so if you buy an off-brand, it's still good quality. I paid less than $100 at Sierra Trading Post.

- Zip-neck, long-sleeved fleece shirt: These are really versatile, inexpensive and easily found for about $20.

- Down jacket: A down coat can be a budget buster, but I found one from Land's End for $80. It's amazingly warm and light and works as an outer jacket or midlayer.

- The North Face soft-shell jacket: I used a $50 gift certificate to knock the price of this coat down to $100. It's a versatile jacket that I've worn around town, mountain biking and snowboarding.

- Fleece beanie: I've had this so long I barely remember buying it, but I think I paid about $15 for it at McU Sports.

- Gloves: This would qualify as a splurge if I had bought them, but they were a Christmas present about 5 years ago and are still going strong. They came from REI and have a thin inner glove and an insulated outer shell. I can shoot photos with the liner on, and my hands don't freeze. They cost about $75.

The nine pieces of clothes I wore to keep me warm on a zero-degree morning of snowboarding cost less than $500. What's more important than the cost is the freedom they give me. Frigid or fair, wet or dry, I know I can go outdoors and be comfortable, and you can't put a price on that.

沒有留言:

張貼留言