2011年6月27日 星期一

LIZ JONES FASHION THERAPY

There's a democratic, time and money-saving movement that's not quite as fervent as the Arab spring, or the campaign in Saudi Arabia for women to be able to drive, but could possibly liberate women from one of their daily chores. It's the ‘no poo' movement.

Before you become alarmed, it simply means forsaking shampoo and conditioner for three months at a time. It has been taken up,Manolo blahnik has scoured through the Liberty Print archives to create this lust-worthy collection. surprisingly, in the ultra-groomed corridors of power in Manhattan.

W Magazine ran a piece by writer Christa D'Souza, who stopped using shampoo and conditioner for six weeks and found her hair glossier and sleeker than ever before.

Then the CEO of fashion label Proenza Schouler,lacoste shoes are always impressive and fashionable. Shirley Cook, came out of the woodwork and confessed she had not washed her wavy mane for three months!

So I, of course, with my expensive addiction to Frederic Fekkai and Philip Kingsley hair products (about £15 for a small bottle), and my long, thick mane of unmanageable hair that is as coarse as a horse's tail, was given the onerous task of not washing my hair for six whole weeks.

The rules were simple: no shampoo and absolutely no conditioner. I was only allowed to rinse my hair in lukewarm water once a week and I could, if I wanted, use a dry shampoo or baby powder in between times to mop up any grease.

But during my experiment, I discovered I have no grease.Nice Kicks has the latest information about jordan 6 rings.

My entire head became a dry husk that grew bushier by the day. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to get too close to any naked flames.

By day three, I had developed great clumps of knots. I tried to pull my hair back into a ponytail, but it was now so bushy it refused to be tamed.

I was worried about the smell,Gretta Luxe features clothes from Stella McCartney and marc jacobs shoes, bags from Balenciaga and Jimmy Choo shoes. so I used baby powder on my scalp, but this merely made me look as though I had developed dandruff and turned prematurely grey.

I didn't cover it up, as I don't own a hat, bar a riding helmet.

My weekly rinsing didn't help; rather, this process made my hair go like ‘felt', becoming a sort of giant dreadlock.

I normally wash my hair once a day. I never blow dry it, but instead leave it to dry on its own.

When living in London, where the water in the shower would run black from grime, this was entirely necessary.

In the countryside, it's less important, but I still shudder when I hear of women who get their hair blow dried on a Monday morning and leave it as it is all week. A weekend camping at Glastonbury a couple of years ago left me reeling from shock; unable to wash my hair for two days, I felt irritable, unattractive and couldn't wait to leave.Our Christian Louboutin replica shoes not only look exactly like the originals they feel exactly the originals.

For while some women find it a chore, I love washing my hair: the pool of shampoo in my palm, the indulgent scalp massage, the delicious rinsing, the smell and the luxurious gloopy feel of the conditioner.

As a schoolgirl, I could only afford to buy sachets in Boots, never a whole bottle. In my early 20s, I graduated to blue Wella conditioner and Protein 21, which came in a medicinal-looking white bottle, and promised to mend split ends (it didn't).

Having moved to London, I discovered the Molton Brown salon on South Molton Street, where I would buy Parasol, to protect my hair from the sun's rays, and have my hair coloured with a vegetable wash, never peroxide.

The hair products business is huge, worth billions a year, and as I examined my scalp as the weeks progressed for dandruff or strange, nesting creatures, I started to become curious about its background.

According to Clean, a wonderful history of personal grooming, written by Virginia Smith (Oxford University Press) most of our cleaning rituals were developed in the late Stone Age, as populations became denser, in a bid to combat disease and infestation.

The ritual of pampering has been around since 4000??BC. In India, between 600??BC and AD 1600, receipts show the purchase of hair dyes, oils, depilatories and disentangling cream.

So perhaps it's not surprising that, for all their high maintenance beauty regimes, the most luxuriant, shiny hair I have ever seen on women has not been in Paris or New York, but in Udaipur in Rajasthan.

There, the women have thick, straight hair that reflects light like a mirror.

But while women in India came up with a way of having beautiful hair despite a shortage of clean water (they anoint their hair with oils and spend many hours brushing it), that tradition is changing among the middle classes in the cities, who consume Indian Vogue and Marie Claire — magazines bent on selling them products.

沒有留言:

張貼留言